Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Byron Bay, Australia

Last week my family headed up north via planes and cars to holiday in Byron Bay, NSW. We arrived on a Saturday morning ready for the relaxed atomosphere, hippie vibes and dreadlock hairstyles. Arriving at our accommodation, 10 minutes drive out of town, we were pleasantly surprised with our own private path to the beach. Pre-conceived notions of doing and seeing everything were lost as we walked half a minute to find our toes in the sand and our eyes fixed on the turquoise jewel of the ocean. If you asked me where you would find me most during these 7 days, I would answer, in my backyard, which happened to be the beach!

During the week I managed to get stung by a blue bottle on my face when going under a wave (my worst nightmare), got bitten by a green ant on my gluteus maximus and foot and lastly, a dozen or so sea lice bites followed by some mosquito ones too. Cheers Australia. 

Apart from that our days were a dream so much so that at the mention of taking a day trip to a nearby town everyone lacked enthusiasm as our Aunty painfully exhaled "it's so hard to leave paradise." 

The mornings usually started with a sunrise viewing if you were committed to those 5.30am starts. Those kinds of people varied day by day. One day I was eager enough and ended up arriving an hour late because of daylight savings but it was ok because I could just climb up 20 stairs or so and be back in bed. But we all managed to be the first to see the sun expose it's rays in Australia from the most easterly point in the country, Byron Bay Lighthouse, and watched our surroundings blush and be painted in hues of gold.

Sunrises were followed by saltwater. Starting the day and ending the day with the ocean is something I will miss greatly. There's something so invigorating about submerging ones self into the sea first thing everyday. If you were extra blessed (or super talented at dolphin speak which I attempted) the local dolphin pod would come and greet you by jumping through the waves.

Aside from the bookend beach bumming, the hours in between were filled with finding the best coffee in town or cold press with coconut milk if you were vegan, purchasing 50c paperbacks from the local op shops, reading, drawing, photographing, siestas and exploring a local town called Bangalow where apparently a lot of famous people like to settle down and drink kombucha. 
The evenings turned into quite a sad affair as all of us girls, everyone except my uncle, sat down and got hooked to fashion makeover shows that Foxtel liked to tempt us with. No judgement please.

The week was absolute bliss and I will surely miss this palm paradise, soaking in the autumn sun, looking up each night to see the brightest cluster of stars, the warm ocean temperatures, magenta clouds with peachy sunsets, the sand that is permanently on your feet and salt always stuck to your hair. Leaving, I am left with fond memories, freckles as friends and a few photos that I want to share with you folks.

Til the next adventure,
Carla 


Byron Bay Markets
Bayleaf Cafe
Blueberry, Honey, Cinnamon and Yoghurt Muffin at Our Corner Kitchen in Bangalow 
Folk Cafe
Sunrise from the most easterly point in Australia
 
Barefoot Brew Room 


Bayleaf Byron Bay

Folk Byron Bay

Our Corner Kitchen Bangalow 

Barefoot Brew Room Byron Bay


0 comments:

Post a Comment